Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mobile website

Rye Public Library now has a basic mobile-friendly website, thanks to Brian Herzog of Chelmsford Pubic Library (MA). He gave a presentation yesterday at NHLA's conference, and included all the code and an excellent read-me file right on his website:

http://www.swissarmylibrarian.net/mobile/

I downloaded his code, customized it for RPL, omitted a few features that I didn't get to today, and modified our regular website to include a link to the mobile website. The biggest challenge was figuring out the correct parameters for doing a keyword or ISBN search in our catalog. So now, when I'm standing in the bookstore, tempted to buy yet another book, I can whip out my phone and quickly find out if RPL has it. Yeah, I could do that from the regular catalog website, too, but this is way cooler, and saves me the extra step of enlarging the view to the point where I can type in the search box. ;-)

Check it out!

http://ryepubliclibrary.org/mobile/

No comments:

Post a Comment